Young children are injured every year in a variety of ways, and most of the accidents are easily prevented. Here are five of the accidents most often occurring in homes.
Fires caused by playing with matches or lighters
Children are taught not to play with matches or other combustibles, but they are highly attractive items and must be kept out of reach of young children. In addition be sure your home has a fire safety exit plan and smoke detectors kept in good working condition.
Choking incidents caused by the cords on blinds
Accidents involving looped cords are very common, especially in children aged 16-36 months. Either purchase blinds without cords, or keep the cords short and out of reach of young children. Most of these accidents occur in the bedroom, so be sure cribs and beds are not near the cords. Don’t hang toys on a crib.
Scalding injuries caused by hot water
Every year hundreds of children are scalded and scarred by bath water that is too hot. Other scalding accidents are caused by pans on a stove. Water heaters should be set no hotter than 48 degrees C (118 F). Pans should always be placed on burners with the handles turned in.
Choking or suffocating from small objects or plastic bags
Babies and toddlers are especially susceptible to choking hazards such as plastic bags and objects small enough to be put into their mouths. Older children should be taught to keep small toys off the floor and out of reach. Adults need to keep small objects picked up and constantly monitor babies who play on the floor or toddlers who may still put objects into their mouths.
There are hundreds of household items that must be kept out of reach of young children due to the danger of ingesting them. Household cleaners, garden pesticides, medicines and cosmetics are the most common items causing poisoning accidents in toddlers and pre-schoolers. All such items must be kept out of reach and safety handles places on cupboard doors.
Do you have safety tips to share with others? What safety equipment do you use to keep your children safe?
For more information on household safety: